I headed to the station to meet a Scottish
guy Alan after grabbing a light breakfast. He is from Glasgow, worked in the
States before and loves Japan. He denied himself as British, but Scottish. We
are not at the same generation, but we do not have communication problem. It
may be because he has been to lots of countries and met different people; hence
he learnt the communication skill. He spoke the right thing with the right
attitude depends on the characteristics and personality of who he is with.
格拉斯哥有4家大學,所以是一個大學城,我在街上就見到許多學生都是中國人。而我來格拉斯哥的目的是被凱文葛羅夫藝術博物館 (Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum) 裡的飄浮頭吸引,在網絡上看過照片,然後知道離愛丁堡大約45分鐘到1小時車程,所以在回倫敦前非來不可。
There are four Universities in Glasgow. It
is a city of University so I have seen lots of Chinese students in the town.
The reason I came to Glasgow is to see the floating heads in Kelvingrove Art
Gallery and Museum. I saw the pictures of that in the internet and it is only
45 minutes by bus from Edinburgh. That is why I decided to come before heading
back to London.
遊覽格拉斯哥除了可以坐巴士電車外,還可以選擇地鐵。這裡的地鐵只有一條循環綫一共15個站,單程票 £1.6。其實可以走路到博物館,但我跟Alan選擇坐地鐵,純粹感受一下。
To visit Glasgow, you may take bus or tram,
but also metro. The metro in Glasgow has only one circulated line with only 15
stops. The single ticket costs £1.6. We can walk to the museum and it is
manageable, but Alan and I decided to take the metro, just for an experience.
格拉斯哥的天氣比愛丁堡好一點,但還是陰晴不定,時晴時雨,望上天空很容易看到天空左邊佈滿烏雲,右邊陽光普照的景象。
The weather in Glasgow is slightly better
than that in Edinburgh, but still gloomy and rainy. If you look up to the sky,
you can see there is half cloudy and half shinny.
![]() |
| 明顯出現兩片不同顏色的天空 The sky has different color due to the unstable weather |
![]() |
| 凱文葛羅夫藝術博物館 Kevingrove Art Gallery and Museum |
凱文葛羅夫藝術博物館真的沒有令我失望。除子飄浮頭外,其他的展品也相當吸引我,邊玩邊拍照時間過得很快。
Kevingrove Art Gallery and Museum did not disappoint
me because the exhibits are really interesting and creative. I was having fun
and took lots of stupid pictures.
![]() |
| 飄浮頭 Floating Heads |
![]() |
| 面具1 Face Mask 1 |
![]() |
| 面具2 Face Mask 2 |
![]() |
| 面具3 Face Mask 3 |
朋友告訴我除了威士忌,Haggis羊雜在蘇格蘭也很有名。羊雜就是把羊的內臟如心肝脾肺腎,還加上洋蔥、動物脂肪、香料和麥片一拼放進羊胃裡烹煮至漲大。我聽到以羊為主其實已經沒有興趣,但沒吃過等同沒有來過蘇格蘭。口感很軟熟,味道偏濃,吃太多會感到肥膩,所以我吃不完。其實如果沒有告訴你,不會吃出是羊內臟。
I was told Haggis is also famous in
Scotland except whiskey. Haggis is made with mixture of lamb intestine, onions,
suet, spice and oatmeal, and put it inside the lamb stomach to boil until it
swelled and cooked. To be honest, I am not interested in this dish because it
is with lamb. But how can you say you have visited Scotland without it. The
texture of haggis is soft, the taste is strong, you will feel stuffy if you eat
too much, and that is why I cannot finish it. You can tell it is made with intestine
of lamb if no one tells you.
![]() |
| 羊雜 Haggis |
![]() |
| 看不出是羊內臟 It doesn't look like with lamb intestine filling |
Alan 知道我想吃Fish & Chips 就說一定要在蘇格蘭吃,倫敦沒有好吃的Fish & Chips店。因為倫敦是內陸不近海,材料一定不及近海的格拉斯哥新鮮。說得有道理,所以我終於吃過Fish & Chips。但沒有我想像中好吃,加上一次過吃了羊雜和Fish
& Chips感到十分肥膩,我往後日子都想吃清淡一些。
As I wanted to try Fish & Chips, Alan
suggested me to eat it in Scotland because the Fish & Chips in London does
not taste good. It is all because of the location difference. London is not a
coastal city but Glasgow is relatively near to the sea, so there is fresh fish
to make Fish & Chips. It makes sense. But it does not taste as good as I
thought. Due to too many deep fried food and stuffy feeling, I just wanted
something taste light in the coming days.
After lunch, we met an Italian
girl who studied in Glasgow and headed to the Necropolis which is a cemetery
located in a low hill.
![]() |
| 不同的墓碑 Various Tombstones |
![]() |
| 應該是有錢人 Should be from the rich |
![]() |
| Alan & Silvia |
由於夏天日照時間長,即使下午5點天仍是亮,所以我和Alan決定到附近高地的湖Loch Lomond,蘇格蘭的高地是必遊的地方,這次我沒有時間到訪太多,但我相信到我退休時應該會回來。
Because it is summer time, the
sky is still bright even it is 5pm. So Alan and I planned to visit Loch Lomond in
Highland nearby. Highland is a must visit spot in Scotland. I will come back to
visit when I retired as I do not have much time this time.
最後Alan 帶我到一家多年歷史的傳統蘇格蘭酒館品嚐威士忌。在這裡千萬跟酒保說威士忌加冰,請你留待在蘭桂芳才喝吧!我一進入酒館,完全是男人的世界,大部份客人都是上了年幾的蘇格蘭男人,每個人都興高采烈高談闊論,不知道有什麼令他們這麼興奮,也許己經是喝多了。女士在這裡會引人注目,更何況是一個黃皮膚身材矮小的中國女生,我步進酒館已經感到有數雙眼睛注視著我,他們心裡必定在想我知不知道自己去了那裡。我不介意別人的目光,因而我喝下兩杯純威士忌後已經開始醉醺醺。這樣也好,好讓我晚上乘車回倫敦時可以好好入睡。
Lastly, Alan showed me to a traditional and
historical Scottish pub to try whiskey. Please do not order whiskey with ice
here, leave it in Lan Kwai Fong in Hong Kong. I felt the stares from the other
customers when I stepped in the pub. Besides, it is completely a men’s world as
most of the customers are mature Scottish men. Everyone is talking with friends
happily and seems very excited. I believe they were in the pub since the
afternoon and already drank a lot. Since I am a tiny Chinese girl at the pub, I
drew lots of attention as I entered in. I do not care how people think because
I was already a bit tipsy after two shot of whiskey. It is a good think because
I can have a good sleep on the bus back to London tonight.
其他照片 Others
![]() |
| 清晨大街 Morning Glasgow |
![]() |
| 格拉斯哥大學 Glasgow University |
![]() |
| 夜景 Night View |
![]() | |
|
![]() | |
|
題外話: 9月18日是蘇格蘭全民公投投票日,決定蘇格蘭能否獨立並脫離英國統治的日子。我問Alan投了Yes / No? 他興奮表示當然是Yes。並說笑如果結果真的能獨立,他的小孩會命名為Whisky 和Haggis。可見他的民族意識很高也很愛蘇格蘭。
PS: 18th Sep is the date for
Scottish to vote for independence. All the Scottish will vote if they would
like Scotland to be independent from the ruling of UK or not. I asked Alan if
he will vote Yes or No? He firmly said Yes and joked that if the result is Yes,
he will name his kids as Whisky and Haggis. It shows he really love Scotland
and has high national identity.
Poem from Alan –
THE WAS A GIRL CALLED TRIANNE
SHE LIVED IN A CARAVAN
ONE DAY SHE ATE HAGGIS
AN AEROPLANE COME OF HER ANUS
AND THEN SHE MET A REALLY NICE MAN
World Copyright Alan William Findlay 2015



























Thanks for the Poem copyright ;o) Many people are thinking to steal those beautiful words...
ReplyDeletePls ask those people to read the rest of my travelogue to steal and share more of the beautiful words
ReplyDelete