中國人主張團聚分享,這是書本上告訴我的,也是預科中化科出現最多的關鍵字。西方人也許略知中國文化一二,但未必會切身體會,直至真正遇上實況才明白箇中道理。
Chinese always focus on gathering and sharing which is what I learnt from textbook and also the key words I used in my Chinese Culture essay in high school. Westerners may know something about Chinese culture, but they may not really understand it until they encountered the actual situation.
大排檔是香港的特色,外國遊客也樂得去體驗街邊風味。以下是我聽過的真實事例,一班外國人圍在一起吃大排檔,各自點了一味菜,有炒蛋、生炒骨、蔬菜、更點了蒸魚。枱面十分豐富,但問題來了,一般大排檔都是叫餸食飯,大家開心Share,但外國人卻把一碟碟餸拉到自己面前一口一口在吃,他們也許習慣自己吃一份牛扒餐或法國菜己分好菜上碟的吃法,並沒有打算分享或吃一口其他人的菜,旁人看來覺得傻眼。
Dai Pai Dong (traditional restaurants with food served in fast speed) is one of the specialty in Hong Kong which is a must-do for tourists to feel local style. Here is a real situation I heard: a bunch of foreigners went to Dai Pai Dong and ordered one dish each, fried eggs, sweet and sour fried pork, vegetables, and also steamed fish. Plenty of foods were on the table to be eaten and shared. However those foreigners took the dish they ordered and started eating. They treated the dish as T-bone steak set or French cuisine which served in seperated dishes individually. There was no sharing at all in the meal and made the outsider felt awkward.
然後又有一次,我跟外國朋友去吃飯,只是一般比椰林閣級數的西餐廳。點了餐,待應把帳單放下離開,食物隨之而送上,朋友拿著錢包,我問他幹什麼不吃?在外國一般只會在客人主動結帳時待應才會送上帳單,所以他見到帳單便以為餐廳要他付款。完膳後他當問要不要給小費,我說總數已包括10%服務費,一般不會再多付小費。
Another time, I had dinner with a friend from other country; we were at a western restaurants, not a fine dining or fancy one. The waiter sent us the bill and left after we ordered. Then the food came. My friend held the wallet on the hand and I asked why didn't he start eating? In western, waiters will only send the bill when the customers asked for it after meal, so he thought the waiter asked him to pay first. After our meal, he asked if he needed to pay tips. I said the total included 10% service charge which we normally not pay tips on top of that.
只是一餐飯己看到中西文化的差別。
You can already tell a lot about differences between Eastern and Western culture over the meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment